Monday, April 23, 2007

Today we worked with Microsoft Publisher. I had taken a workshop about this quite a while ago so had forgotten much of it. It is another interesting way to present data. After looking at some of the other Big6 models used, I (again) began to rethink the process. Not sure if I should have students create the essential question or if I should. I'm thinking that I will do the broad essential question and then have the students brainstorm a list of related questions. I am excited to use the Big6, but as with anything new, still have questions, which I'm sure will work themselves out as the project develops. I want to start my project next week and am having Dan Wolotsky come in my room to help out with research and citing data. What I continue to think about is what am I really assessing?? The project is the disease project and I'm thinking that what I'm really assessing is how they do research. The major focus is how will they access various sources, citing sources, and the major thing is not to plagiarize. Secondary I want them to learn about the disease during this whole process. I love Page Creator and I think I'm going to use this to present the disease project. Thanks!

1 comment:

skoelker said...

You might be assessing several things, Lisa. PROCESS as always is important to all learning, I think, so the process of research would be a good evaluation focus. I haven't seen your rubric so I'm not sure what else might be important. I'll find out tomorrow.
I'm really bummed about Page Creator, though. Our network trouble with it is disturbing - similar issues with other free web creation sites...I'm leaning more toward wikispaces.com again.

spk
><>